[Israel.pm] Re: Variable Naming

Yuval Yaari yuval at windax.com
Wed Jun 9 11:29:44 PDT 2004

> I think you didn't understand the issue. If "smart" editors do not
> always use a multiple of your tab size in the indentation (and they
> don't), then it does not matter whether you save using tabs or spaces.
> You always end up with files with either hardcoded indention (4 spaces)
> or hardcoded tab size (4 spaces). The only way to avoid this hardcoding
> is to disable auto-indentation completely and always use one real Tab
> (never spaces) for every indentation level.

One more thing - even though my tab size and indent level are the same,
you can still get some problems with tab sizes.
It's usually when tabs are in the middle of the line, and not just
indenting your line.

If I have (bad example, look at the subject of this thread, but n/m):
my %xyz = (
[tab]'moshe'[tab]=> 'abcdsdsdsqsdsddsrdefg',[tab]# comment
[tab]'sason'[tab]=> 'uvwxyz',[tab][tab]# I use two tabs because the above
string was very long and I want the # signs to match vertically
);

It won't always look good if I'd change my tab stop size.
Probably my example isn't good - but at work I once changed to a smaller
tab stop on some file (lines became long), and noticed it.
That's why people claim "tabs are evil", I guess.

Just one last thing: I am a tabs kind of person, I only use tabs, and my
tab size is 8.
I see your tab is as big as mine :) [think Dark Helmet]