[Israel.pm] Re: Variable Naming

Mikhael Goikhman migo at homemail.com
Wed Jun 9 10:32:09 PDT 2004

On 09 Jun 2004 19:57:03 +0300, Issac Goldstand wrote:

> > > what comes to mind is the tab-stop length of 4.
> > > I use 8 for better readability.
> >
> > Yes, hardcoding the tab size (or otherwise indention) to 2, 4 or 8
> > spaces is obnoxious. A good code may use real tabs and still look
> > correctly with any tab size. At least all my code looks correctly
> > with any tab size.
> >
> > Unfortunately this is not going to happen everywhere, people just use
> > the style that their "smart" editors force on them and thus we have
> > the tab size disputes.
>
> No.  A "smart" editor, should allow you to save tabs, rather than the
> spaces.

I think you didn't understand the issue. If "smart" editors do not always
use a multiple of your tab size in the indentation (and they don't), then
it does not matter whether you save using tabs or spaces. You always end
up with files with either hardcoded indention (4 spaces) or hardcoded tab
size (4 spaces). The only way to avoid this hardcoding is to disable
auto-indentation completely and always use one real Tab (never spaces)
for every indentation level.

Regards,
Mikhael.