Evil with a capital 'E' [was Re: [Israel.pm] Completion and editors (offtopic)]

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Wed Jun 9 06:42:33 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 09 June 2004 13:10, Yuval Yaari wrote:
> Shlomi Fish wrote:
> >Mikhael and Yuval,
> >
> >You can use ed for this, or you can use Emacs for this, or you can use
> >something in between. I don't try to tell programmers with which tools and
> >their features to write their code. I just want to tell them how to write
> > a high-quality code. (And naturally, do my best to practice what I
> > preach.)
>
> I just don't like the fact that people get used to a tool and then hack
> their way into that tool.
> Switching editors is painful, I know, but I wouldn't continue using an
> editor where I (*cough*) have to background the window, open a new
> editor, find the variable, close that editor, fg, and finally paste
> (*cough*).

Well, actually even joe allows you to do that. It supports opening multiple
files, splitting the screen, copy/cut and paste between files, etc. No need
to do any job control games for that.

joe is minimalistic, but it is not that lame. Mikhael, why aren't you doing
that (you said you used joe)?

> Losing focus IS Evil (why do you capitalize evil, btw?).

Well, I saw someone (I think I recall who he was, but I'm not going to
disclose who at this juncture) saying that "foobaring is Evil (with a capital
'E')". I liked it, so I shamelessly borrowed it. However, I sometimes just
say that something is "Evil" without adding the "(with a capital 'E')".

I think that grammatically its incorrect, but it adds a whimsical air to the
expression. Sort of like "foo considered harmful".

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il