[Israel.pm] Eclipse + Perl? (Also: good editors for Perl?)

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Tue Jun 8 01:34:47 PDT 2004

While it only answers one of your questions...

On Monday 07 June 2004 14:46, Yuval Yaari wrote:
> The thing is, I don't want it to crawl on my computer.
> It should at least work extremely smooth on my P4 2.66Ghz w/ 1GB
> RAM at 333mhz. But I also use a P3 1000Mhz with 512MB SDRAM (133Mhz...).

Hmmm... well, I recall running it on a P3 667MHz with 512 MB of RAM. (SDRAM, I
believe). It took some time to load, but then was pretty responsive. I can
warn you that I hardly tried to do anything with it, and eventually did not
take the course that involved Java programming. It was some time ago, so
things may have improved or got worse since then, albeit I find it hard to
believe that they got worse by a substantial amount.

Note that AFAIR, I used Sun's JDK on Linux for running Eclipse. It is highly
possible that IBM's JDK will be even faster.

> Otherwise, what good tools are there that offer similar features (esp. this
> debugger interface and list of variables/subroutines) are there (for
> Linux...)?

There's something by ActiveState (Komodo, I believe). It isn't open-source,
though and I recall hearing people had trouble with it. It's also possible
that KDevelop or KDE Studio already support Perl. (albeit last time I checked
they were C/C++ only). You are talking about running it on Linux, right?

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il