[Israel.pm] Editors as Power Tools [was Re: Variable Naming]

Yuval Yaari yuval at windax.com
Tue Jun 8 01:09:33 PDT 2004

Jason Elbaum wrote:

> I'm gonna regret this, but I'll just weigh in briefly:

> I find auto-completion annoying. The editor interferes with the flow
> of my typing by assuming it knows what I mean. If you're a lousy
> typist, use auto-completion. I can finish typing the variable name
> faster than I can select the editor's auto-completed suggestion.

We're talking about different kinds of auto completion.
Mine doesn't pop up, I summon it by pressing some key combination.
You're talking about GUI editors that open those annoying pop-up boxes.

> Right. BTW, why are you using CamelCase for variable names? Most people
>
> Programmers should use whatever variable style their projects require,
> if there is a company standard. If not, maintain consistency with
> existing code. Otherwise, do what you find comfortable. It just
> doesn't matter.

I don't change styles often. Not at all.
I can't promise that all my projects will have the same style.
But I will use the same style for an entire project and won't switch in
the middle.

>>> I happen to like command line debuggers.
>>
> I gave up on graphical debuggers a long time ago. They generally just
> make the debugging process slower, heavier and more buggy!

Which ones did you try?
I haven't found a graphical debugger that I like, but I'm not giving up :)

  --Yuval