[Israel.pm] Classifier

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Mon Jun 7 12:43:53 PDT 2004

Hello,

I've been implementing today a very simple, yet very useful
classification algorithm(s):
	Perceptron
and
	Winnow

(they are actually the same algorithm... up to the operator
used in some function... + for Perceptron and * for Winnow).

You can see my implementation at:
http://cs.haifa.ac.il/~shlomo/Classifier.pm
and a very trivial example which uses it at
http://cs.haifa.ac.il/~shlomo/example.perl

The code should be self explanatory, though, I could have
better documented it... but I didn't bother.

If you want to get some background, see a presentation I did
over a year ago:
http://cs.haifa.ac.il/~shlomo/nn/neural_networks.pdf
(the relevant part is up to the backpropagation...).

Hope you'll find it interesting.

Oh! There is an implementation on CPAN called
AI::Perceptron. I haven't tried it as its interface lacked
several thing I wanted, and since implementation of the
algorithm is fairly straightforward, I just went ahead and
implemented it...
There are also other classifiers out there on CPAN, so if
you're into machine learning, you might want to check them
out too.

I'm going to try and use my implementation for Part-Of-Speech Tagging
classification in Hebrew... I'll tell you how it works, if
it works, once I do it :-) -- The harder part is writing a
Feature Extractor, which reads data, and builds feature
vectors for it (for training and then for the general
purpose classification). I'll post a link to that code as
well once I finish writing it.

If after all it turns out practical, I might try and put it
on CPAN one way or another.

Any comments?

--
Shlomo Yona