[Israel.pm] fork and rsh top

Tal Kelrich tal at musicgenome.com
Thu Jul 15 08:24:02 PDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:53:43 +0300
Offer Kaye <offer.kaye at gmail.com> wrote:

> Question 1 - can this be made parallel in tcsh? bash?

this seems to work, quick and dirty

#!/bin/bash
tmpbase=/tmp/outputs
stations="foo bar baz"
for station in $stations ; do
	(rsh $station "top n1 b | head -14 | tail -4") \
		2>/dev/null > ${tmpbase}_${station} &
done

#collect them all!
wait

#now output
for station in $stations ; do
	echo $station:
	cat ${tmpbase}_${station}
	rm ${tmpbase}_${station}
done

> Question 2: The order of the reported stations was random. I guess I
> should have expected this (due to the nature of fork), but is there a
> way to get the outputs in the same order as the list of hosts?

You'd probably want to use pipes here, then read them at your leisure

	Tal

--
Tal Kelrich
PGP fingerprint: 3EDF FCC5 60BB 4729 AB2F  CAE6 FEC1 9AAC 12B9 AA69