[Israel.pm] how do i cut the first 2 characters/digits of a string?

Yossi Klein kleinyossi at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 15 03:11:04 PDT 2004

Or, even better

$x = substr ($str, 0, 2, '');

will chop off the first two chars from $str and assign
it to $x. I don't think that's too obfuscated :-)

If you're only interested in chopping and not getting
the 2 chars, you might consider doing:

substr ($str, 0, 2) = undef;

which I think more clearly shows that you're deleting
the first 2 chars. You can't combine like:

$x = substr ($str, 0, 2) = undef;

because $str will get chopped before the assignment to
$x and then $x will actually get the third and fourth
char (which although wrong, is pretty cool if you
think about it).

Yossi