[Israel.pm] telnet without Net::Telnet

Gabor Szabo gabor at pti.co.il
Wed Jul 14 22:30:26 PDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 Yossi.Itzkovich at ecitele.com wrote:

> Hi,
> I have to run it in customer's station, where he has old Perl (5.005) with
> no modules installed + I need to build an executable.
> perlcc's executable still wants some DLLs, and PAR seems not to work at all
> on Solaris.

Now I am confused,

either you build an executable and then you should not care what
version of perl is available on the target box (you don't even need perl
for that matter)  (have you looked at the Solaris version of the
Perl DevKit of Activestate ?)

or

you use the local perl and give the customer your source code.
In this case you could include in your source code a module that was
actually downloaded from CPAN. Just as if you wrote your code in a modular
fashion.

Looking at the test results of Net::Telnet
it is pretty impressive with it 39 pass-es, you have a good chance it
will work on that version of perl too.

    http://testers.cpan.org/show/Net-Telnet.html

or you package your code and modules using PAR:

It passes the tests but of course it might be broken.
Anyway, trying to go that route, you might get much more help than perlcc

AFAIK perlcc is considered plain broken and not recommended.

regards