[Israel.pm] CPANPLUS and smoking CPAN

Gabor Szabo gabor at perl.org.il
Thu Jul 8 11:32:11 PDT 2004

>What's CPANPLUS?

CPANPLUS is the module that will replaces CPAN.pm in 5.10
see http://search.cpan.org/dist/CPANPLUS/
"It is like CPAN just better."

It has a number of user interfaces, one of them is similar to what CPAN.pm
has but the biggest issue is that its back-end is more programmable.

>Why is it better to use it? How do I call for tests using
>CPANPLUS and how to I report test results?

In itself I am not sure it is better to use, it is not yet stable, it has
issues and I encountered modules that CPAN+ could not handle while CPAN
could.

But

one of the things you can configure in the modules is to send test reports
to the CPAN testers http://testers.cpan.org/
In order to send these reports you have to tell this to CPANPLUS and
you also need to install Test::Reporter

Sending the report is automatic in most of the cases I encountered,
sometimes it offers you to edit the report before sending it.

CPAN smoking is refer to the act that you are running the test suit of all
the new modules most likely automaticall and send the report to the
testers. For more details on a script that does this look here:
http://search.cpan.org/~autrijus/CPANPLUS/bin/cpansmoke

Installing using CPAN.pm or whatever way you like it.

perl -MCPAN -eshell
> install CPANPLUS

[ I think you need to configure it here ]

> install Test::Reporter

Using it:

perl -MCPANPLUS -eshell
> i Lingua::HE::Sentence
... make/make test/ sending report/ installing

I have already tested your new module, the report is already
in the archives of the mailing list:
http://www.mail-archive.com/cpan-testers%40perl.org/msg130800.html

it will be soon included in the database here:
http://testers.cpan.org/show/Lingua-HE-Sentence.html

BTW it is using SQLLite to handle the currently over 100.000 tests
which are not small by themself.