[Israel.pm] newline character as a portability issue

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Wed Jul 7 22:53:51 PDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Dovalle Yankelovich wrote:

> \015 and \012 are switches and that was your original problem - you are
> trying to use switches (no matter if you use '\n' or '\015\012')
> in addition - do you know what is \012 \015??? Open your calculator type
> (on decimal) 10 and toggle between oct, hex and dec do it again with 13
> I think you will get it

Let me see if I understand you correctly:

Do you suggest to use "\015\012" instead of "\n"?
How does this solve me problem?

My problem is being able to process text in a cross platform
way regardless of the actual newline character/sequence-of-characters.

Using "\015\012" instead of using "\n" will fail when either
\015 or \012 is missing... right?

--
Shlomo Yona
shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il