[Israel.pm] Meeting Report and More

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Fri Jul 2 22:33:14 PDT 2004

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, Ran Eilam wrote:

> The meeting report is up at:
> http://www.perl.org.il/kwiki/index.cgi?MeetingReport2004Jul01

Thanks for the nice meeting report.

I was very happy to witness the excitement and interest
caused by the issues raised in my talk. Obviously, there are
a few things which deserve further investigation:
* we agreed to take it out to the list and check what is the
behaviour expected from the character class \p{Hebrew} under
various locale settings.
* Niqqud (the diacritical marks which can be attached to
Hebrew letters) representation and processing seem to have
raised quite a lot more interest that I anticipated, and I
suppose that once I find some time to look into some
progress in this matter I'll give another talk with some
insights about this too.

I'm sure there were some more issues, but those slipped my
mind. Since Semuel was writing down things eagerly, I
suppose he remembers what they were... :-) Oh! When can we
expect the Hebrew processing parts be incorporated into the
Hebrew Perl Turotial?

Gaal's lecture was about Maypole which seems to be a magical
way of putting up a searchable/browseable/editable database
with a web interface with little-to-no work. The idea seems
very attractive, but I wonder if I'll be able to implement
some example, do it in a couple of hours and stay sane... I
guess I'll have to try it sometime. The key issue was that
the user gets a lot done magically and the only thing which
needs to be defined is the database tables and the relations
between the tables.

Last Thursday was the first time I ever attended the social
gathering after the lectures. I was very happy to have
attended it. Despite the unexpected shift in location (can
you imagine that the people at the restaurant across the
street actually "played dead" when they saw us comming
instead of welcomming us in?!), and the tasteless (or not so
tasty) food the conversation was flowing and the more I
think about it the reason for the interesting conversation
was mostly the group of people around the table rather then
the beers...

I was especially privlidged to have participated in an
exciting, interesting and very educational discussion made
about some implementation problem I wanted solved in a short
time. The brainstorming that went there, and the practical
questions asked mostly by Ran and by Oded quickly helped me
see that the problem I'm trying to solve can be reduced
without much loss of generality into a simpler instance
which can have all (or at least the top most important) the
requirements I wanted. This was a great lesson for me that
apparrently when you take an experienced group of people and
throw an interesting problem at them, you'll end up with an
exciting discussion and a handful of refreshing ways of
attacking the same problems from different points of view.

--
Shlomo Yona
shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
http://cs.haifa.ac.il/~shlomo/