[Israel.pm] Nokia and Perl

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Wed Jan 28 08:47:17 PST 2004

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 00:17, Pinkhas Nisanov wrote:
> It's not Perl, it's python
>
> :-(

Well, the article is not conclusive on the fact that Perl would be completely
eliminated out of use there. For instance:

<<<
This is still the plan, but in a statement released internally, Nokia says
"Within the context of a relatively new platform, Series 60, one
implementation of a technology concept tool will actually involve the
evaluation of Python as the scripting language, with the existing potential
for Perl to be a strong evaluation candidate in a secondary phased approach."

So there's hope yet. One should note that Perl is available for Linux-based
cell-phones already, because it can already compile on Linux (naturally). I
think I recall it was also ported to WinCE and to PalmOS. This makes Simbian
the last mobile phones OS to adopt it. So much for keeping things
proprietary.

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il
Homepage:        http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/