[Israel.pm] Perl job in Jerusalem

Oron Peled oron at actcom.co.il
Tue Jan 27 07:59:42 PST 2004

On Tuesday 27 January 2004 17:18, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> C-Shell? Don't they know that C-shell programming is considered harmful?
> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/
> (By Tom Christiansen, mind you)
> Who can take this kind of job seriously? ;-)

While what you say is basically right, the truth is that there are large
organizations using csh/tcsh (normall for small) scripts for historical
reasons. During the 80's there was a tradeoff between using csh/tcsh
which offer significat ease of use (job control, history mechanisms, aliases)
and Bourne shell (which was good for writing scripts). Many organizations
standardised on csh/tcsh.

This was further accelerated by the success of Sun Microsystems at the time
which shiped SunOS (a BSD-derived Unix) -- W.Joy wrote both csh and vi
and was one of the founders of Sun. So organisations which started using
Unix in the 80's are mostly "csh-lovers". As a good example think about
the Technion -- they teach csh in MATAM (which is an obligatory subject
for CS students).

Of course nowdays the primary shell is bash because it offers both:
  - A convenient interactive environment with all the goodies tcsh
    have (programmed completion, job control, dirstack, etc.)
  - POSIX compatible scripting

So the correct attitude is IMO:
  If you know csh/tcsh scripting (including the problems), and bash
  than you may have the right skills to support csh now and slowly
  migrate the people to bash (without breaking production...)

"Beware of bugs in the above code;
 I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
                              -- Donald E. Knuth