[Israel.pm] Processing Hebrew XML in Perl - Better Late than Never

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Thu Jan 22 09:20:10 PST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> Well, seeing that Shlomo's presentation about processing Hebrew XML in Perl is
> coming soon, I decided to get my act together and write the mini-mini-howto
> on Hebrew XML in Perl:
>
> http://www.iglu.org.il/shlomif/hebrew-xml-in-perl/hebrew-xml-in-perl.html

Well done.

One question:

You say that it is important to use the following line of code
	binmode O, ":utf8";
but you dont explain what it does and why you need it.
It is more troubling that you state up front that you don't
use UTF-8 (and that you decided to use iso-8859-8) but then
you still use UTF-8.

Can you explain why?

Thanks.

P.S.
Seeing that you did your Hebrew editing using KEdit, I
wonder if you also tried to produce Hebrew text with niqqud.
If you were able to do that successfully, I'd like to learn
your system's settings, as on my Mandrake 9.1 it seems to be
an impossible mission at the moment.

Thanks.

--
Shlomo Yona