[Israel.pm] volunteer needed

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Tue Jan 13 14:01:41 PST 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Martha H Greenberg wrote:

> Also, if anyone has any particular questions on perl and monitoring that
> they want answered in my talk, speak up now!

I wonder how can I monitor the resources used by a script of
mine, which spawns several other processes while running.

I am particularly interested in the following:
	- disk space usage
	- memory usage
	- bandwidth (http reuqests and responses)
in total (although a detailed report for each child process
as well would be nice).

I am especially interested in this for the purpose of
evaluating resource-requirements for later deployments on
other systems, but such a report should also be useful for
understanding the peak resource requirements of the script
so I can try and limit it (e.g., in case it uses up too much
memory, I'd like to be able to limit its memmory consumption
up front instead of having a paniking kernel killing
processes in order to survive once my script takes up too
much memory).

Thanks.

--
Shlomo Yona