[Israel.pm] Testing problem

Gabor Szabo gabor at perl.org.il
Sun Jan 11 16:53:45 PST 2004

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Thomas Maier wrote:

> > In the bottom line the only reliable way to test properly is to
> execute
> > in real life scenarios as much as possible.
> Correct. Just consider the follow scenarios:
>  1. test target (your real life scenario) still does not exists.
>  2. test target is full of bugs.
>  3. test target works extremely slow.

1 and 3 might need Mocking (though I am not really sure about 3)
but afaik in 2 you have to write a test and set the parts that
fail to be TODO tests. In that case your test script will pass cleanly
on the buggy target and you'll get the "Unexpected success" messages as
you hopefully fix the bugs.

Just make sure the fact the test suit with all the TODOs pass
cleanly won't give a false feeling of clean application.