[Israel.pm] wierd input/output problem

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Tue Jan 6 03:33:59 PST 2004

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Offer Kaye wrote:

> > I think it should be something which has to do with the
> > default encoding on the system (for A it is probably
> > iso-8859-1, while for B it is probably UTF8). How can I get
> > to the bottom of this and understand what is it that causes
> > the corrupted output on server B
>
> Shlomo, try to see what differences, if any, exist between servers A and B
> in terms of LC* environment variables, and locally (for your script) set the
> different variables in B to A's values. If that helps, you can leave it as
> part of the script, or try to get the sys-admins to fix it.

That was it!

The locales on server B were set to UTF8 while on server A
set to the default en_US

solving this by running my shell with

setenv LANG en_US

(adding it to my .tcshrc)

I wonder why the locales were set there to UTF8 anyway --
heck, the ordinary terminals don't usually even know how to
handle this...
--
Shlomo Yona
shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il