[Israel.pm] purely hypothetical question

Issac Goldstand margol at beamartyr.net
Mon Jan 5 06:16:32 PST 2004

The whole point of mod_perl is a Perl port of the Apache C API.... The whole
point of the Apache C API is to extend the power of the core robust enine by
providing hooks to run your own code.  Thus the point of mod_perl (if you're
using handlers the way it's meant to be used) is to transform Apache from a
standard file-serving webserver into an application server customized for
your needs (if you customize everything, you could knock off huge amounts of
Apache code from each request cycle by short circuiting bits that you don't
need).

Now, not to be insulting, it stands to reason that the good people at the
ASF have put a *lot* of thought into how to setup their callback hooks for
the modules.  Especially when one considers that almost everything in Apache
2 is a module - even the HTTP protocol layer.  However, if you're  that sure
that you'd get a better performance boost out of writing Apache into your
program, rather than writing your program into Apache, then go for it!  As
for the huge memory footprint, it's just the perl interpreter, and it'll be
there whether the Perl's embedded the in C, or C's embedded in the Perl.
And the Perl "issues" aren't really issues if you're using good Perl
programming habits (and even less of issues if you're doing mod_perl
handlers instead of Apache::Registry scripts)

Just my 5 agorot - hope no offence was taken, as none was intended
   Yitzchak