[Israel.pm] purely hypothetical question

Scott Weisman sweisman at pobox.com
Mon Jan 5 05:47:59 PST 2004

hello,

i am basically do full-time perl development for web site applications. i use
apache with cgi and/or mod_perl. i've had a thought cross my mind that i was
hoping someone with another perspective or more insight could answer for me.

since my application is 100% perl, and i just use apache for processing http
requests, why even bother using something like mod_perl, which after all,
embeds perl within apache. instead, my idea goes, take a finely crafted http
engine (such as exists in apache) and request library (eg libapreq)
implemented in c and EMBED them within perl. if all you're doing is using
apache to be a front-end to perl code, why bother? it just makes the process
more bloated, it creates issues for any perl code, since it's all running in
an eval'ed environment, etc.

as i said, it's just a hypothetical question, but one that has been bugging me
for a while. maybe someone on this list has some insight into why it's a
stupid or good idea?

thanks,

scott