[OT] RE: [Israel.pm] Are we open source advocates ?

Oron Peled oron at actcom.co.il
Sun Jan 4 08:45:04 PST 2004

On Sunday 04 January 2004 16:17, David Baird wrote:
> Our company sells source code to manufactures who want to use our
> licensed technology. The source code comes with the license. It allows
> them to build their commercial products either with our code as is, or
> modify it for their product line.

The following may not apply to your company, but some companies are
using dual license model for similar situations:

  - Trolltech: License the QT GUI library as GPL/Proprietary (your choice).
    They normally make money from companies that want to use their code in
    proprietary products. However, due to the GPL they enjoy contributions
    from wide community (KDE is based on QT/GPL).
  - Aladdin: License the newest version of Ghostscript under proprietary
    license and the older version (~1 year older) under GPL.
  - Sun: StarOffice (proprietary) is derived from OpenOffice.org (non-GPL
    free software license).

"The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many of
them to choose from."
                                -- Grace Murray Hopper