[OT] RE: [Israel.pm] Are we open source advocates ?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sun Jan 4 07:14:11 PST 2004

On Sunday 04 January 2004 16:17, David Baird wrote:
> This is off-topic.
>
> Our company sells source code to manufactures who want to use our
> licensed technology. The source code comes with the license. It allows
> them to build their commercial products either with our code as is, or
> modify it for their product line. It is open source, they get the source
> code. It is not free. They cannot redistribute it,

Sorry, but a software that is accompanied with the source is not necessarily
"open source" according to the generally accepted definition:

http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition_plain.php

Among else it specifically says the source code must be redistributable. A
software that is accompanied by the source is usually named "sourceware", and
it includes open source, free software and many other types of software (like
qmail).

> and you as a customer
> of their product cannot ask for it. We make money on the license. We
> provide support for our code at a price. We will even modify and
> customize it at a price. Many of you have a product using our source
> code in your pocket or attached to your belt.

I fully support and appreciate your work. However, you are still not vendors
of open source software. (unless part of what your distribute does indeed
conform with both the OSD and the Free Software Definition).

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il
Homepage: http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/