[OT] RE: [Israel.pm] Are we open source advocates ?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sun Jan 4 06:04:03 PST 2004

On Sunday 04 January 2004 15:34, Oron Peled wrote:
> On Sunday 04 January 2004 14:35, Offer Kaye wrote:
> > But just because Perl uses by default the Artistic License does not make
> > it any less open-source. It does perhaps make it less *free*, as in the
> > definition given by the GNU Foundation, but we were talking about
> > Open-Source Software here, not Free Software.
>
> A common confusion: Open-Source-Software and Free-Software defines the
> same class of software. They both give you the rights to:
>    - Use for any purpose
>    - Distribute for any purpose
>    - Modify and redistribute modification for any purpose
>    - Create derived work for any purpose

Actually, there's a small difference between the Open Source Definition and
the Free Software Definition. Namely, some software that would qualify as
open source won't qualify as free software. (but not vice versa). One thing I
know is that software for which a user must redistribute modifications even
if they were done for his internal use, is OSS but not free software.

Usually, it does not matter, because the vast majority of open source software
out there is free as well. For more information refer to:

http://fc-solve.berlios.de/oss-fs/docbook/oss-fs/book1.html

But as a general you are correct.

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il
Homepage: http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/