OpenOffice Presentation [was Re: [Israel.pm] YAPC submissions guidelines (light!)]

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Sun Jan 4 00:07:42 PST 2004

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, Gabor Szabo wrote:

> You are always welcome to volunteer and to actually help Shlomo in taking
> the presentation materials people send to him in some format and then
> turn it to the format required by the prointing shop. Please be in
> touch with Shlomo privately (!) regarding what exactly has to be done.

Yes.
Let me stress that submitting your material for press should
NOT be in presentation format, but rather in some document
format. There is little sense in printing a presentation of
20 slides where each slide has 2-3 sentences in it. A more
sensible thing to do is to produce some document which is a
detailed expansion of what the presentation slides actually
summarize. Since the printed peper lacks any animation (and
in our case also lacks any color which isn't in grayscale) I
see no point submitting for press the presentation slides.

I suggest that lecturers submit a document (LaTeX or MS-Word
or utf-8 encoded text file) with wide margins and ready for
print on A4 pages (with NO page numbers).

The argument about the presentation format is not needed as
we (the orginizers) cannot promise to have any machine
available for presentation, so you can understand that we
cannot promise that such a machine will be able to support
a specific format... Each lecturer should make sure that a
laptop is available for the presentation.

--
Shlomo Yona
shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
http://cs.haifa.ac.il/~shlomo/