[Israel.pm] YAPC::Israel::2004 lecture slides

Mikhael Goikhman migo at homemail.com
Thu Feb 26 14:37:25 PST 2004

It was a nice conference! I hope lectures will post their slides or other
lecture material for those of us who participated in adjacent rooms.

My shortening talk slides:

  http://migo.sixbit.org/papers/Ruby_vus_Perl/        # view
  http://migo.sixbit.org/papers/Ruby_vus_Perl.tar.gz  # download

My Artificial Intelligence slides:

  http://migo.sixbit.org/papers/AI_and_Perl/          # view
  http://migo.sixbit.org/papers/AI_and_Perl.tar.gz    # download

(Some Israeli providers seem to have a DNS problem regarding this host,
however the rest of the world should resolve it without problems.)

I forgot to show one small bonus on the lecture. For those who is familar
with the chess a bit, here is an example chess position:

  http://migo.sixbit.org/papers/AI_and_Perl/chess-example-1.gif

Question: you are Black; if your opponent is a regular novice player, can
you win her? Answer: no, White may just move her King forever.

Now, pretty much the same question: if your opponent is a good computer
program, can you win it? Answer: you may try to. Perform this move:

  http://migo.sixbit.org/papers/AI_and_Perl/chess-example-2.gif

Many chess computer programs will choose to eat a figure here, breaking
the draw situation. I am not sure about Deep Blue, probably it's smarter
than this, but who knows. Of course, this situation almost can't happen
in the real game, but this shows that even very smart programs may fail
in situations where a human sees the correct solution immediately. And of
course, such failures only happen if a computer don't have enough memory
or time to build the complete game tree (this is the case in chess).

Regards,
Mikhael.