[Israel.pm] Running X on PuTTY - SLOOOOW

michael tewner tewner at jct.ac.il
Wed Feb 25 08:41:35 PST 2004

The best way I've found to do this (IE, without stealing software)

(1) install cygwin with the xfree86 packages
(2) use its ssh client

I used to ssh to my linux box, and run my entire gnome session over 11Mbit
wireless without a problem.

If you want more, you can even set up kde/gnome inside cygwin. It was
slowish, but definately reasonable...kinda like running-X-in-vesa-mode
speed.

Another (free) option is to find yourself a copy of mi/X server. It used
to be free, and I don't know what happened to it. ANyway, you can find the
old free versions floating around everywhere. You run that, set up your
ssh and run your X apps.

-tewner

I'm off to find myself, if I return before I come back, please tell myself
to wait...