[Israel.pm] Running X on PuTTY

Srikanth Madani srikanth.madani at vodafone.com
Wed Feb 25 03:56:12 PST 2004

Hi all,

I want to be able to see my Perl code in all it's glory - as I see it using
vim on an X-windows display server (like Exceed, XonNet, Reflection etc.).
On PuTTY, I do see some syntax highlighting - but only very minimal.

So the question is  : is it possible to execute an X-terminal from PuTTY?

I keep getting :
	<X app error>: Can't open display: <my PC's IP address>

I had a look at the Putty documentation website :
http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.54/htmldoc/ but that didn't get me
very far.

I'm running PuTTY Release 0.53b from a WinNT 4.0 machine, connecting to a
SunOS 5.8 host using ssh.
I have X11 forwarding enabled and have set (wrongly?) the X display location
to be my PC.

While we're on the topic, does anyone have a .vimrc (vim configuration file)
which is specific (and handy) for Perl development?

Thanks,
Srikanth Madani