[Israel.pm] Perl 6 Critique
srikanth.madani at vodafone.com
Thu Feb 19 08:14:25 PST 2004
Nice article, and the ensuing thread was v interesting.
<slightly OT stuff follows>
I encountered a new word : cruft. I couldn't find it in the dictionary, so I
googled for it. These are the top results.
1. Crufts is the world's greatest dog-show <www.crufts.org.uk>
2. An unpleasant substance. The dust that gathers under your bed is cruft.
3. n. The results of shoddy construction.
4. vt. [from `hand cruft', pun on `hand craft'] To write assembler code for
something normally (and better) done by a compiler (see hand-hacking).
5. n. Excess; superfluous junk; used esp. of redundant or superseded code.
6. [University of Wisconsin] n. Cruft is to hackers as gaggle is to geese;
that is, at UW one properly says "a cruft of hackers".
And the most interesting :
Poorly built, possibly over-complex. The canonical example is This is
standard old crufty DEC software. In fact, one fanciful theory of the
origin of crufty holds that was originally a mutation of crusty applied to
DEC software so old that the s characters were tall and skinny, looking
more like f characters.
Software Configuration Management (CC) [TATS Take Over]
+49-211-533-8461 srikanth.madani at vodafone.com
Ericsson Building E4-33; Fritz-Vomfelde-Straße 14. Düsseldorf.
Larry Wall on Perl 6 : We're working on it, slowly but surely...or
not-so-surely in the spots we're not so sure.
More information about the Perl