[Israel.pm] I have very large and flameable question ;)

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Wed Feb 18 12:05:24 PST 2004

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 21:19, Kfir Lavi wrote:
> I'm starting with perl, and in my new job i have a lot of perl scripting
> work.
> Now all the company are Python'ists.
> My boss want me to work in Python, and i want Perl.
> I don't know python.
> My boss worked with perl about a year, but he is very fund of python.
> Can i convince him that perl is the best?
> Do you have any suggestions?

Hi Kfir!

I suggest you code whatever you need to code in Python instead of fighting. In
a workplace, if there are several competing technologies, one should usually
choose one over the others. If people want you to work with Python, you
should comply with it because otherwise it will fragment the company's code.

If you don't like it and would rather use Perl - then find a workplace that is
Perl-based.

Learning Python is not too hard, and you should be glad that the workplace
lets you learn Python during the course of your work instead of expecting you
to know it in the first place. I know someone who uses Python because he
claims he isn't intelligent enough to know Perl. ;-)

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il