[Israel.pm] I have very large and flameable question ;)

Yuval Kogman lists at woobling.org
Wed Feb 18 11:36:13 PST 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:19:05PM +0200, Kfir Lavi wrote:

> Can i convince him that perl is the best?

I don't think so.

Convince him that you can't work as well in Python as you can in
Perl.

You can also say that since Perl and Python are both moving towards
Parrot, via Perl 6, Ponie, or whatever those pythonites are doing,
using both shouldn't be as hard - libraries should theoretically be
sharable, and so forth.

I think that the latter point is quite weak, but that with enough
massaging you can convince them that the prior one is correct. Say you
will be losing them money ;-).

IMHO, however, going against the trend at the company is not a good
practice - it will cost them extra work to clean up after you
leave. They will need to add Perl to the requirement list of the next
employee, even if they don't want to. I think a compromise is a better
idea - learn python, do a trial period, and then work out a solution
when you have more of a case against Python.

If you will, that is. Maybe you'll like it after all?

Lastly, if your boss knows both, why should he take your word for Perl
being better, if you don't know Python?

Hope this helps!

 /\  kung foo master: /me throws bonsai kittens: neeyah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!