[Israel.pm] The PowerPoint-Friendly Version of my TT Pres

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Tue Feb 17 04:30:22 PST 2004

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 14:13, Shlomo Yona wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > But I need a suitable program running on a suitable OS that will be able
> > to present it. That's the minimum I'm asking for, and it should not be
> > too hard to comply with. There are going to be Windows workstations which
> > can project onto the screen, right? And they will have a CD-ROM drive and
> > be connected to the Internet, right?
>
> Shlomi,
>
> As they say in the X-Files: Trust no one!

If this was the case, then human civilization would have been impossible,
because since their early beginning human beings trusted each other, and even
at our current state, we need to trust each other to be responsible and to
supply us with Electricity, running water, fully functional Internet, food in
the supermarkets and in restaurants, mail being delivered, etc. I shudder to
think what we would amount to if everybody thought that you can "trust no
one".

(BTW, this quote predates the X-Files considerably. I remember it being an
integral part of the movie "Indiana Jones and the Lost Grail" (Indy 3). But
of course it predates even that.)

(BTW 2, I never watched a single episode of X-Files.)

> You are the only one responsible for your presentation.
> You need to take care of your presentation files.
> You need to take care of a computer to use the files on.
> You need to make sure the software on the computer is
> compatible with your presentation format.
>
> You may only assume that you'll have a room to lecture in
> and a slot in the conference's schedule.

In that case, then the organization is sub-standard. A good organizer would
have made sure that the lecturers would be able to bring a CD with the media
and forget about it. So they'll have some peace of mind. Now, I have to worry
about bringing a computer, a software, a slide projector, a room, and some
audience to hear it. ;-)

BTW, I gave a lecture in the IDC, and I had a nice WinNT workstation there
which I could use to present my HTML presentation. Why isn't it the case for
this conference as well?

> Please note that months ago, Gabor stated and repeatedly
> stated that the orginizers cannot offer a laptop or a
> computer for the presentations and that the lecturers are
> responsible for that.

Maybe I did not notice. Second rule of User-Interface design: "People don't
read!". It doesn't matter if you have a full-screen dialog with really large
letters, that say "I'm going to erase you hard-disk now" - people will just
press OK. Much less if it was some small detail in an obscure E-mail. My head
is stuffed with so many pieces of information as it is, so you can't expect
me to have readily noticed it.

> I hope that this is the end of the discussion.

It's not.

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il
Homepage:        http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/