[Israel.pm] Linking to CPAN modules

Offer Kaye oferk at oren.co.il
Mon Feb 16 23:40:23 PST 2004

> I was reading the module-authors mailing list where someone has  just
> mentioned that you can always link to modules on search.cpan.org with
> a very static URL when the answer of Offer to the array swapping question
> came in.
>
> I think this is a good opportunity to point you to this:
>
> Instead of pointing at
> http://search.cpan.org/~xmath/Data-Swap-0.02/lib/Data/Swap.pm
>
> you could point at
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Data-Swap/

This does not work in the case of modules which are part of the core Perl
distribution. For example try:
http://search.cpan.org/dist/File-Copy/

However there is a method which should work in any case (AFAIK):
http://search.cpan.org/search?module=Data::Swap
http://search.cpan.org/search?module=File::Copy

This has the added advantage that the name of the module is written
correctly, without having to replace the "::" with "-".
As for my email last night, I was in a hurry, as avidenced by the way I
mangled Mikhael's name. Sorry Mikhael :-)

Final point- giving a static URL to the latest version of a module is
helpful but not really a must, as CPAN will add a link to the latest
distribution at the top of the page. See for example:
http://search.cpan.org/~shlomoy/SuffixTree-0.02/SuffixTree.pm