[Israel.pm] Linking to CPAN modules

Gabor Szabo gabor at perl.org.il
Mon Feb 16 13:00:14 PST 2004

I was reading the module-authors mailing list where someone has  just
mentioned that you can always link to modules on search.cpan.org with
a very static URL when the answer of Offer to the array swapping question
came in.

I think this is a good opportunity to point you to this:

Instead of pointing at
http://search.cpan.org/~xmath/Data-Swap-0.02/lib/Data/Swap.pm

you could point at
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Data-Swap/
or
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Data-Swap/lib/Data/Swap.pm

While the former one might disappear as the owner updates
the module or if there is a new maintainer the other two links
are both static. This is great for making it good food for Google.

I'd like to recommend that from now on we'll try to send in only
such links. I even wrote a journal entry about this:

http://use.perl.org/~gabor/journal/17438

I personally will go over all the places where I mention a module and
replace the URL with one in the above style.

I think it is a small effort and having high ranks to the right modules
will help more people find good solutions.

regards