Off-topic- acronyms (was Re: [Israel.pm] Essay: The Joy of Perl)

Jason Elbaum Jason.Elbaum at motorola.com
Sun Feb 15 06:11:45 PST 2004

> I guess I grew up in an age when only various subspecies of technically
> inclined people even KNEW what Cobol (or COBOL) was AND what it means.

The issue in the NYTimes stylebook isn't whether or not people know what
it means, just whether or not it's pronounced as a word.

Of course, many of us grew up in an "age" when many common computer
systems couldn't handle lowercase letters, so anything computer-related
was uppercase, acronym or not.

Officially, FORTRAN started calling itself Fortran with the Fortran 90
standard.

(You're right about Perl being a retroactive acronym...)

Regards,

Jason