Off-topic- acronyms (was Re: [Israel.pm] Essay: The Joy of Perl)

Gaal Yahas gaal at forum2.org
Sun Feb 15 05:33:43 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 03:05:19PM +0200, Jason Elbaum wrote:
> Not all stylebooks agree on this. Some (such as the New York Times) say
> that an acronym which is usually pronounced as a word, and which is more
> than three (I think) letters long, should be written as a capitalized
> word: Cobol. Basic. Perl (it's also an acronym!). Fortran.

Perl is in fact a backronym, and there is quite enough interior community
convention for spelling it like that. Furtheremore, there is a case for
semantic differentiation: Perl the language, perl the implementation,
PERL the cluelesness detector.

--
Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org>
http://gaal.livejournal.com/