[Israel.pm] Selling the Perl Resource Kit

perl-il at amos.mailshell.com perl-il at amos.mailshell.com
Wed Feb 11 07:05:12 PST 2004

Shlomi Fish wrote:

> minix, a small UNIX-like OS for x86's as an example. minix in turn
> served as
>
>the basis for the first version of Linux which was written by Linus Torvalds.

This isn't quite true, as far as I remember - Linus actually startted
from scratch. What he did
take from Minix was the filesystem format (not even the code which
implements it, just the
format).
The big noise about linux when it came out, as I remember, was that:
1. Linux takes advantage of the 386 "real mode" (or whatever it's
called) - which ment real
division between "system mode" and "user mode". Minix was designed to
run on pre-386
which basically ment it was a toy system. I think it also had a
"valuntary" scheduler (i.e. a
program could take control of the system if it miss-behaved).
2. Linux is GPL - Minix was not true "open source" in the current sense,
that's why I'm pretty
sure that I remember correctly that Linus couldn't take code from Minix
(Minix is currently
in "Public Domain", but its LICENSE was ammended last at 1997, prior to
that it had
a stricter copyright, see http://www.cs.vu.nl/pub/minix/LICENSE and
other stuff at
http://www.cs.vu.nl/~ast/minix.html and minix.org).