[Israel.pm] Cwd::abs_path and "~"

Offer Kaye oferk at oren.co.il
Wed Feb 11 06:24:43 PST 2004

I'm trying to pass a path containing the tilda "~" sign in the beginning to
Cwd's abs_path fuction, but I get back undef instead of the full path:

use Cwd qw(abs_path);
my $full_path = abs_path("~/some/path") or die "Couldn't resolve path\n";

I'm running perl 5.8.0 under Linux. Does anybody know why this is failing?
P.S., I don't need a workaround, there are many ways to go around this
problem, I'm just curious as to why this doesn't work. Nothing in Cwd's
documentation suggests this should fail.

Offer Kaye