[Israel.pm] Selling the Perl Resource Kit

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Wed Feb 11 03:30:48 PST 2004

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 06:43, Kfir Lavi wrote:
> I have new book: computer networks - tanenbaum. didn't use it.
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0130661023/qid=1076451999//re
>f=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-7716790-5940043?v=glance&s=books&n=507846 kfir

Hmmm... I heard about this book. (good things and bad things). If it's indeed
in good condition, then I suggest you sell it at the auction. You can get %50
of the sale and %50 will go to Perl.org.il. (just a suggestion - you can sell
it entirely for your own gain).

Just a note for everybody: Andrew S. Tannenbaum (aka Andy Tannenbaum) is a
Dutch professor who specializes in Operating Systems and Computer Networks.
He is known for having written a book about Operating Systems where he gave
minix, a small UNIX-like OS for x86's as an example. minix in turn served as
the basis for the first version of Linux which was written by Linus Torvalds.
The code of Linux was never entirely re-written from scratch since then, and
Linux is the most commonly deployed UNIX-clone to-date.

Of course, later on Tannenbaum criticized Torvalds for choosing to use a
monolithic kernel architecture instead of a micro-kernel one. This started an
entirely big and famous holy war on Usenet:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/appa.html

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il
Homepage:        http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/