[Israel.pm] SYSTEM

Oron Peled oron at actcom.co.il
Tue Feb 10 16:32:54 PST 2004

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 01:36, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> Unfortunately, in the real world most of the sysadmins are lazy enough
> (or not knowledgeble) to define a proper environment for their users.

These people were very common in the hay-days when everybody who
could spell "Heich-Tee-eM-eL" was carrying a "system-architect" title.

But I'm not so pesimistic, the current situation slowly (too slowly) start
changing the situation. Those that lack knowledge but have the brains --
learn and improve and the others look for jobs at other industries...

So educating people (e.g: there's only one root, granting extra permissions
will cause extra grief later) does actually help accelerate the process
of pushing the right people up (IMO).

"There are lies, damned lies, and statistics" -- Benjamin Disraeli
"...and benchmarks" -- Garry Hodgson