[Israel.pm] Good Looking Graphs with Perl?

Yuval Yaari yuval at windax.com
Mon Feb 9 02:33:52 PST 2004

Of course.

Their website has examples, sample code, and the perldoc has all the
information needed.
http://www.seva.net/~msolomon/MSGraph/
It looks fancy enough for me.

One thing about their samples (and Gabor's presentation on Thursday):
they don't use strict!!!

As for installation:
perl Makefile.PL && make && su -c 'make install'

Went smooth BUT it's not as good as it sounds.
I didn't have GD (well, I did, but I installed a new perl release since
getting it) and it didn't tell me anything.
But I figured it out.

GD didn't install well, because (even though the cpan shell/errors do
not imply this) you need libgd 2.0.2 (I had 1.8.4), which required me to
also install a newer version of freetype2.

Anyway, since I am used to installing these kind of things, I'd say it
went ok.
The module doesn't seem to slow my scripts down, my bottleneck comes
from the DB (I generate a graph from DB data).

Generally, I think it looks better than the modules I've seen on CPAN.

  --Yuval