[Israel.pm] Lecture Suggestion: mod_ocaml - Eat your Cake and Have it too

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Wed Feb 4 02:00:45 PST 2004

Hi!

Would you be interested in a presentation about mod_ocaml? O'Caml is a very
nice language similar to Haskell, but much more practical, with a fast
interpreter and a compiler that produces super-fast code (that rivals that of
C[1]) You can write strongly-typed, functional programming, object oriented
code without segfaults and other idiosyncrasies of C, and with a high-level
programming environment with many useful abstractions and utility functions.

I would like to talk about mod_ocaml (which I did not have yet an experience
with, but will until the lecture) which is an Apache module to serve O'Caml
server-side scripts, similar to mod_perl. (only compiling O'Caml to machine
code).

This time I will start with the "Hello World" CGI script and continue to
demonstrate some form handlers, and other simple CGI scripts, all in O'Caml.
At first, though, I will give some facts about O'Caml, to explain why it is so
nice.

So, what do you say?

[1] - http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/lang/ocaml/

(Note that I like the Haskell syntax and conventions better than O'Caml.
However, it is much less practical than O'Caml. As such if I had to do a
serious project in either of these languages, I would choose O'Caml without a
second thought).

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il
Homepage:        http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/