[Israel.pm] RE: [OT] University education (Was BSc. for Jobs )

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Tue Feb 3 08:54:08 PST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Eitan Schuler wrote:

> By the way does anyone use this high level mathematic you can learn in BSc.
> in Computer Sciences in everyday work? I don't.

Yes. It is not very useful in everyday work, unless you are
continuing to self educate yourself and get updated from
recent scientific literature. In that case, the math is an
important tool for you to be able to understand and, if
necessary to repreduce results. Various math topics I
learned are also useful as an "example" for how to observe
or how to solve a problem at hand. So, I'd say yes, I use
it, I use it a lot, and it is quite useful.

--
Shlomo Yona
shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
http://cs.haifa.ac.il/~shlomo/