[Israel.pm] RE: [OT] University education (Was BSc. for Jobs )

Omer Zak omerz at actcom.co.il
Tue Feb 3 07:11:32 PST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> I wish I needed university to have this skill. But I don't. I was able to
> self-learn on my own before I joined the university. I did, however, acquired
> the knowledge and understanding of the foundations of Electrical Engineering,
> and a larger part of Computer Science and Mathematics than I had known
> previously, and so benefited for it.
>
> Now, if the tests were fair, easy in comparison to the Homework, and not
> something I have to worry about if I already knew the material, I would have
> been completely happy. The problem is that with the current scheme, there is
> a lot of frustration and aggravation involved, and it's especially not good
> for me, because I tend to get into anxieties or euphoria when stressed.

That's part of life.  If you are lucky, you might be able to lead
sheltered life, in which other people keep you from the big life
frustrations (in exchange of a much bigger slice of the profits from
whatever you are working on together with them).  Or you might develop the
strength to deal with life without living in the shadow of other people,
and gain the lion's share of what life has to offer (this is what real
entrepreneurs routinely do).

> ... The
> Technion cost me a lot of blood, and I don't see myself returning to school
> in the forseeable future. (and if I do, I seriously consider studying
> abroad).

Chances are that you'll find that schools abroad are as tough as the
Technion, if not more.  And you'll be far from family and familiar
surroundings, to boot.

                                             --- Omer
I may be affiliated in any way.