[Israel.pm] RE: [OT] University education (Was BSc. for Jobs )

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Tue Feb 3 05:44:19 PST 2004

On Tuesday 03 February 2004 15:23, Shlomo Yona wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Gabor Szabo wrote:
> > As we are told the University is a place for accumulating knowledge.
> > Students goes in with little knowledge.
> > They come out with no knowledge.
>
> I am under the impression that university's purpose is to
> give the student tools to learn and appreciate knowledge and
> not necessarily educate and train a student for some
> practical task (or a set of tasks).
>
> If you end up leaving university without being able to self
> learn and to appreciate knowledge then you probably missed
> the whole point.

I wish I needed university to have this skill. But I don't. I was able to
self-learn on my own before I joined the university. I did, however, acquired
the knowledge and understanding of the foundations of Electrical Engineering,
and a larger part of Computer Science and Mathematics than I had known
previously, and so benefited for it.

Now, if the tests were fair, easy in comparison to the Homework, and not
something I have to worry about if I already knew the material, I would have
been completely happy. The problem is that with the current scheme, there is
a lot of frustration and aggravation involved, and it's especially not good
for me, because I tend to get into anxieties or euphoria when stressed. The
Technion cost me a lot of blood, and I don't see myself returning to school
in the forseeable future. (and if I do, I seriously consider studying
abroad).

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il
Homepage:        http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/