[Israel.pm] RE: [OT] University education (Was BSc. for Jobs )

Shlomo Yona shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il
Tue Feb 3 05:23:44 PST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Gabor Szabo wrote:

> As we are told the University is a place for accumulating knowledge.
> Students goes in with little knowledge.
> They come out with no knowledge.

I am under the impression that university's purpose is to
give the student tools to learn and appreciate knowledge and
not necessarily educate and train a student for some
practical task (or a set of tasks).

If you end up leaving university without being able to self
learn and to appreciate knowledge then you probably missed
the whole point.

Of course, having a respectable degree is a big plus too
when you want to show your credintials

--
Shlomo Yona
shlomo at cs.haifa.ac.il