[Israel.pm] RE: [OT] University education (Was BSc. for Jobs )

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Tue Feb 3 05:09:13 PST 2004

On Tuesday 03 February 2004 14:39, Srikanth Madani wrote:
> [I'm sorry to bring this up again; I'm not a member of the Hackers-IL
> mailing list, and this is something I strongly identify with.]
>
> Omer Zak wrote:
> <snipped>
>
> >If someone has earned an university degree, then this means that he is
> >able to finish a big project, no matter what happens, no matter what are
> >the obstacles on his path.
> >
> >This is because getting a degree is analogous (in a way) to doing a big
> >project, dealing with all kinds of crazy difficulties, silly constraints,
> >aggravatingly cold-hearted administration, clueless fellow students and
> >senile professors.
>
> <snipped>
>
> Very well put, Omer.
> It's sad. And now that I'm out of college, I wonder if I'll ever care
> enough to try and change it.
>
> I remember being made to prepare a whole drawing book full of pictures of
> tools used in a mechanical workshop (hammers, saws, welding irons etc.) -
> and I was pursuing my Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering. It was
> frustrating, and it was a farce anyway, as I (along with almost all of my
> contemporaries) just opened a book, and copied every single picture,
> initially using a scale etc., and later freehand. I was embittered at
> having to do something so soul destroying and consequently retained nothing
> of what I drew. Did you know that there actually is a kind of hammer called
> a bastard?

Hmmm... well, the situation is not so bad in the Technion. The vast majority
of courses, do have some relevance to what you have to do in the future. The
Technion mandates everybody to learn "Differential and Integral Calculus" and
"Physics" courses, which the industrial engineering/computer
science/biology/chemistry people have little use for. (they are of vital use
to Electrical Engineers, Mechanical Engineers, Physics students, etc.)

I'm studying Electrical Engineering so most of what I studied so far could
have some relevance to my future as an Electrical Engineer. I'm very content
with the Syllabus, just not with the tests.

> "The University has very poor sort of efficiency, if one takes the
> definition of the simple machine, as output over input. Here one must take
> the view the Biblical God took towards Sodom and Gomorrah.....for the sake
> of the few, the whole effort must be made, and it is worth it."

Nice.