[OFFTOPIC] Re: BSc. for Jobs [was re: [Israel.pm] Perl job at Giga]

Omer Zak omerz at actcom.co.il
Sun Feb 1 12:11:31 PST 2004

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> On Sunday 01 February 2004 10:39, Yuval Yaari wrote:
> > Seems like I'm never going to get a new job.
> > Why do companies insist on having BSc. ???

[... snipped ...]

> I think one reason is that they probably see it as another way to separate the
> men from the boys. They want to have such a criteria so they'll be able to
> choose among less applicants. Or they think that it actually really matters.

There is one thing which an university degree can prove (see disclaimer
below):

If someone has earned an university degree, then this means that he is
able to finish a big project, no matter what happens, no matter what are
the obstacles on his path.

This is because getting a degree is analogous (in a way) to doing a big
project, dealing with all kinds of crazy difficulties, silly constraints,
aggravatingly cold-hearted administration, clueless fellow students and
senile professors.

In other words:  what one really does in university when he aims at a
degree for getting a better job - is not as much learning as about proving
that he can get something done (passing tests at reasonably high scores).

    The Big Disclaimer is:  provided that one didn't shortcircuit the
    process by cheating.

Of course, what material one covers in the university matters.  There are
several possible ways to prove oneself, and one would be wise to choose a
way which yields him those skills, which are most relevant for his future
career.

The consequence of the above when it comes to getting a job without
academic degree:

The candidate should be able to prove, in another way, that he is able to
embark on a few years long demanding project, and complete it in spite of
all difficulties and obstacles.
                                             --- Omer
I may be affiliated in any way.