[OT] Re: [Israel.pm] Perl job at Giga

Scott Weisman sweisman at pobox.com
Sun Feb 1 03:33:37 PST 2004

This is my personal opinion, but I think there is a real obsession with
credentials here. Why else would there be separate unemployment offices for
those with or without degrees? Unemployed is unemployed, after all.

In America, it is also common to see a degree requirement, but in addition to
credentialism (which is a worldwide phenomenom, though particularly acute in
Israel), is a response to political correctness run amok. You see, some people
were offended that employers would (gasp!) test prospective employees' ability
to do the job by administering intelligence tests and the like, and various
laws and court cases now prohibit this disgusting practise (yes, I am being
sarcastic). So employers started requiring degrees as a *proxy* for a test
they could not administer themselves.

In software development it is particularly sad because, even for those with
degrees, only a very small number of programmers actually have a CS degree.

Today, it's easier to prove yourself. Release some Perl modules on CPAN, for
example.

Good luck,

Scott