[OT] Re: [Israel.pm] Perl job at Giga

Yuval Yaari yuval at windax.com
Sun Feb 1 00:39:45 PST 2004

Seems like I'm never going to get a new job.
Why do companies insist on having BSc. ???

I know more than just a few great programmers who don't have any degree,
some even didn't finish high school.

Are comapnies flexible about this criteria?

For the people who don't know me:
I didn't finish high school and I've been working with perl for the last
2 years (as a daily job, that is) and for a lot more than that just for
the fun of it.
A worker in this company started writing a server for this company and
dragged it over 6 months.
It wasn't stable (he wrote another daemon that checks if the server is
alive and re-ran it if it wasn't. YUCK.) and it didn't have a 10th of
the required features.
In 3 months I wrote this server in Perl, from scratch, including a
database and a web-based administration system in HTML::Mason.
Both the server and administration aren't very simple (I would even call
some features complicated).
It works great, my company adores me for that, and everything is stable.

I don't think the fact that I didn't finish highschool/don't have a BSc.
makes me a worse programmer/worker than anyone else.
I do think that this fact will hurt my chances of getting a job.

P.S: Sorry for being off-topic.