[Israel.pm] Testing scripts

Gabor Szabo gabor at perl.org.il
Tue Dec 28 12:33:24 PST 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Offer Kaye wrote:

> I have a Perl script I would like to test.

Good start !

> So I started using Test::Simple and later moved to Test::More.
> My problem is, all the documentation talks about testing modules and
> it isn't clear to me how to test stuff like the output files and error
> messages my script outputs.

Try looking around http://qa.perl.org/
and I also started to write up some documentation but it
is lacking a lot of things.

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Bundle-Test

Especially for you, you might want to look at Test::Warn or
Test::Exception

File::Compare and Text::Diff might also help in comparing output
files to some expected result.

> Is there a standard framework for testing scripts?
yes: TMTOWTDI   :)